I'm limiting my post time today, since I really have a hundred other things I could should be doing.
Just thought I would update on the fabulous Spring Break we are all having around here.
Lex has had track practice and work. Yesterday we scheduled time to shop for Prom dresses, and she found one that she liked. It would have been convenient had she selected the dress I liked, since it would have required little-to-no alterations (one less thing to do, you know?). I thought it was absolutely stunning on her - bright pink satin mermaid-style with a crystal brooch. {Beautiful}. She said she couldn't "move" in it. She didn't like the color. She didn't like how shiny it was. I stopped pressing, realizing that it IS her Prom. Instead, she selected a lovely light pink and silver lace dress. It is darling on her, however, it is in need of alterations. I now need to squeeze in time to shop for matching fabric (I'm a little worried about that), and to find a tailor. It can be done, right?
Shilo has been taking a class this week to certify as a lifeguard. Isn't it funny how you never really think about the time and commitment required for certain things? I have always thought lifeguarding was the easy summer job. Kind of like I used to think marching band and cheerleading were cake (uh, no).
Shilo has been informing us daily that it is hard. Very, very hard. And, said she, just because you are a fairly fast swimmer, it doesn't make picking up a brick on the bottom of the 12 ft. end of the pool and swimming with it over your head (and out of the water so the brick can "breathe") down to the other end of the pool easier. It doesn't make putting someone much bigger than yourself on a backboard in the deep end of the pool easier. It doesn't even make escaping from someone hanging on you and pulling you under water easier. And believe me, I have heard about it every day this week.
How it's been the longest day of her life.
How she doesn't get a Spring Break (hello, I know where you're coming from).
But she's hanging in there. I know she'll be glad she did it when it's all said and done.
Mauri has two weeks off from school, which is good, since this week is not-so-much-of-a-Spring Break. I've told her to be patient. Next Wednesday we can start planning something fun to do.
We've also been dog sitting this week for some friends that are off having a great time over the break. It's been somewhat challenging, now that we have two pups of our own to manage. The pups eat Leo's food. Leo slobbers all over the pups. We are I am taking dogs out to poo and walk nearly all day long. Leo is a barker, and we are afraid the pups will pick up on the nasty habit.
At this very moment, Leo is in the spot he prefers - under the desk.
And I've discovered that he has gas... because "it wasn't me." {Stinky}
I have determined that our days of dog sitting are done. It was much easier before Jack and Ava came along.
I've been spending most of my time this week making these for the centerpieces for the Teacher Appreciation Dinner on Tuesday:
They are turning out great (thanks to Pinterest), but I have learned a LOT along the way. The biggest lesson I learned is to BE SELECTIVE with what books you use, especially when you plan to display them in a church building at a Stake function. My friend had given me a huge stack of books to use (free - which totally works for the budget), and I just grabbed some and started cutting. The cutting is slow and tedious work, and by the time I had enough apples cut for the centerpieces, I had stiff, sore fingers (and arms and neck), and blisters. In the process of painting and gluing the apples, I made a discovery. A bad word. I ripped the page out, no worries. Then I saw another. I wrestled with what to do. What if, during the coarse of dinner, one (or more) of those students, parents, or teachers are staring at a page in a book-apple that is totally and completely inappropriate? (In briefly flipping through the pages I found sex, drugs, and murder, oh my.)
So, today I tossed the unacceptable book-apples (4 out of 8), and made more, using elementary level books to be safe (like Winnie the Pooh). I hope the rest are okay. {Sigh}
I have gone over my time limit, and the dogs are beckoning.
No comments:
Post a Comment