When we moved to Colorado from Utah over 9 years ago, we discovered some fairly distinct differences as far as houses, yards, and landscaping go. We had always been fans of the rambler (Colorado calls them "ranch") style of homes, large yards, and materials that required little or no upkeep.
I remember sweating the decision of aluminum or vinyl siding on our first home. We chose vinyl, knowing full well that we would never have to lift a finger to keep it looking good, except to maybe hose it down every-other year or so. We were thrilled with our reasonably large lot, but had dreams of a bigger and grander yard, possibly even a half acre. I loved those white vinyl fences, and knew that someday, if I was careful and frugal enough, I, too, could have my yard incased in such awesomeness.
After we moved to Cedar Hills, the land of stucco and faux stone, we noticed some homes in our neighborhood that looked like they actually had wood siding. They had an obvious non-Utah look to them, and I marveled that someone would want to purchase such a house. They would need to paint it, for goodness sakes. Who paints these days with all the amazing products that promote themselves as
aesthetically pleasing
and, more importantly, maintenance free?
aesthetically pleasing
and, more importantly, maintenance free?
Then we started looking for homes in Colorado. Tiny yards. Wood siding. Predominately two-level. No long-coveted cement curbing... anywhere. Lots and lots of rock. Nary a vinyl fence to be found.
Lucky for us, things worked out better than we could have imagined, and our two-level, wood-sided house, on it's rock-landscaped corner lot with a split rail fence has been lovely. Truly.
But it's in some serious need of paint.
I finally got the thumbs up from Bill, so the process has begun. Let it be said, I am not good at selecting paint colors. One of the bedrooms in our home has been painted five times -- within about as many years. (Right now it's a glowing near-neon pink, and has been for years.)
It's a stressful decision, especially when you will have to live with your choice for the next 8 to 10 years. So I've been looking at paint colors I like. Slowly perusing surrounding neighborhoods, snapping pictures, hoping to find the perfect color combination for my house.
It's a stressful decision, especially when you will have to live with your choice for the next 8 to 10 years. So I've been looking at paint colors I like. Slowly perusing surrounding neighborhoods, snapping pictures, hoping to find the perfect color combination for my house.
After snapping what felt like were boatloads of pictures, I came home to review them. That's when I realized that I definitely have an affinity for the greenish hue.
I have pondered the choices.
I have painstakingly purchased samples, and painted them on the side of my house (no going back now).
I have looked at them from every angle, and in every light.
I have requested input from my family and neighbors.
I think I have made my decision.


I can't wait to see what you have decided on!
ReplyDeleteAs I was looking at the pics of those house's (a quick glance at each) at first I thought they were all the same. I like the middle color by the way. It will be fun to see what you do. Good luck, that is a big job.
ReplyDelete